VMware Communities
marciovo
Contributor
Contributor

Problem to communicate with LAN

Hello,
I tried to run some of the tips found in this forum, but none solved my problem.
We installed a VM with Windows 2003 Server Edition and we connect on the network. In the VM is installed eclipse, netbeans, visual studio for our developers and we use a SVN server.

In the first VM everything works, but when we copy the VM to other developers and spent the network card that connects to our LAN does not work.

We have two network cards:
1 - An application for the site that is set to host only and can not be changed.
2 - Another to connect to our LAN that is configured in Bridge mode.

This network card in bridge mode can not connect and as is always limited.

We've tried manually configure an IP, however, can not ping the server that is accessible by the host VM.

HOST: WINDOWS 7 PRO
VM: WINDOWS SERVER 2003

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Does the 2nd NIC on the host have the VMware Bridge Protocol installed and enabled?

Have you run the Virtual Network Editor, disabled automatic bridging, and manually specified the 2nd host NIC to be bridged to VMNet0?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

... but when we copy the VM to other developers ...

after you copy the VMs, how do you make sure the VM's receive unique MAC addresses and hostnames?

André

0 Kudos
marciovo
Contributor
Contributor

Robert D. Petruska wrote:

Does the 2nd NIC on the host have the VMware Bridge Protocol installed and enabled?

Have you run the Virtual Network Editor, disabled automatic bridging, and manually specified the 2nd host NIC to be bridged to VMNet0?

The first step made ​​in the image attached. And the network adapter is still limited.

It could help me to manually configure the bridge?

0 Kudos
marciovo
Contributor
Contributor

André Pett wrote:

Welcome to the Community,

... but when we copy the VM to other developers ...

after you copy the VMs, how do you make sure the VM's receive unique MAC addresses and hostnames?

André

We only change the hostname.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Does this mean you are trying to run multiple systems (VM's) with the same MAC address on the same LAN!?

I'd recommend you add

uuid.action = "create"

to the VM's vmx file or ask the users to answer the question whether the VM was copied or moved with "I copied it". This will generate a unique MAC address for each VM. see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1541

André

0 Kudos
marciovo
Contributor
Contributor

André Pett wrote:

to the VM's vmx file or ask the users to answer the question whether the VM was copied or moved with "I copied it". This will generate a unique MAC address for each VM.

Yes Andre, we did this

0 Kudos