VMware Communities
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem to clone the snapshots

HI

I have opened with Workstation 8.0.1 a virtual machine (which had some snapshots) created with Workstation 7.x.

Because I wanted to create a clone of a snapshot of this VM, I have powered off it and I opened the Snapshot Manager. So, I selected a snapshot and I clicked on the Clone button.

At this point, the wizard appears telling me that the snapshot is in use:

Snapshot_clone_problem.png

Why? So, how do I clone these snapshots?

THANKS

BYE

balubeto
0 Kudos
5 Replies
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, why this wizard does not allow me to continue?

THANKS

BYE

balubeto
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

3 of your 4 snapshots are hot snapshots - if you want to create a clone from them first use "goto" and power off the VM

0 Kudos
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As you can see from my image, my VM is already powered off. So, how do I fix it?

THANKS

BYE

balubeto
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

hehe - as you can see from your image three of your 4 snapshots were created while the VM was running - and that is the crucial factor here

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You're trying to clone from snapshots that were taken while the VM was running.  You can only clone from snapshots of the VM in its powered-off state.

You can restore the snapshots, power off the VM, take a new snapshot, and then create a clone from that.

0 Kudos