VMware Communities
Nimral201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Problem: no mouse scroll wheel support

Hi all,

I have a nagging problem with VMWare Workstation (latest Release 12.5.7 build-5813279). On one of my computers, if I fire up a VM, the mouse lacks scroll wheel support inside the VM. Scroll wheel support is OK in the host, seems like scroll wheel support somewhow doesn't "get through" to the Vms. Any ideas how I can track/fix this problem?

Details:

I am using two machines, a desktop computer (Windows 10 x64) for office and a Laptop (Windows 7 x64) for mobile work. The VM(s) needed reside on an external SSD drive, and I move the drive between the two computers as needed. When loaded by the laptop, there is no scrioll wheel support for the mouse in any of my VM(s), while the mouse buttons & mouse cursor work fine. When I start the same VM(s) on my desktop computer, scroll wheel support is allright. Further clue: one of my mice has side buttons. On the desktop, they work like intended, on the laptop they don't work. Conclusion: on teh laptop, the mouse does onle get some "basic" support in the VM, seems like "advaced" functions like scroll wheel and additional buttons are omitted. Normally I'd suspect a driver issue, but the mice I tried (one of them beeing a genuine Microsoft mouse) don't need any additional drivers than what's proviced in the base OS to work.

Already tried:

- installed the same and latest version of VMWare Workstation (12.5.7 build-5813279) on both machines, and installed the latest Version of VMware tools

- tried different VMs (Window Server 2012, Windows 7), the problem seems to affect all VMs

- tried different mice (USB, Bluetooth, built-in Touch pad) - all of them show the same problem

- searched the forums and net for clues, but found none for up to date evrsions of VMware

Any hint what I can do to track and resolve this problem?

Thx, Armin.

Tags (1)
6 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tried reloading VMWare Tools on the laptop after connecting the VM?

Perhaps different drivers.

Lou

0 Kudos
maximeformat
Contributor
Contributor

Same with vmware workstation 15.x and 16 with brand new LogitechM590 : no wheel in guest.... VMtools properly installed

0 Kudos
Paolin
Contributor
Contributor

Tried starting vmware player as admin? It did the trick on my PC.

Try this too... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOtgIXjJMNM

Robito
Contributor
Contributor

Starting as admin worked perfectly 👍

0 Kudos
Fezzik
Contributor
Contributor

Installed workstation 16 and all Windows VMs could not scroll.  Tried the run as admin trick and that worked.

0 Kudos
markhutch
Contributor
Contributor

I have Workstation Pro 16.2, updated the VM Tools as the VMWare Tools bade in the system tray said "VMWare tools can be updated".

Result? Same. Still no mouse wheel in the VM.

Is there ANY updates on this issue? VMWare? Anyone?

0 Kudos