VMware Communities
garynickerson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem installing VMWare Workstation 7

I am running Windows 7 Professional, 32 bit OS. I downloaded the full vmware worksstation package, wmware-workstation-full-7.0.1-227600.exe. When I run it, installation fails with the following message, "Unable to find the file bootstrap.lua in the installation package. This could be due to a package corruption. Verify that the package has been downloaded correctly." Can anyone tell me what is going on here and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1.) Try stopping your virus scan (and firewall) software for the time of installation.

2.) Even though I assume you do, make sure you run the installation as an Administrator?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Use either a command window, or from the run command, and navigate to the directory the installer is located. Such as c:\... after the complete file name enter /extract ""... So, if using the run command, enter: c:\VMware-workstation-full-7.0.1-227600.exe /extract "installme". Once extracted, navigate to that new directory and execute either the "vmware workstation.msi" or "VMware-workstations-full-7.0.1.227600.exe" file to kick off the installation.

This bypasses the extract process in the installer, since you just extracted the contents (71 files)... I've seen this resolve several installation issues, just like yours.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The first step is to verify your downloaded file is free of errors. Use the MD5 hash and a MD5 program to check your file. If there is a mismatch between the MD5 checksum and the downloaded file, then you'll need to download it again. Is there a virusscanner involved that protects one or more files (like starting an application from the Temp-directory)? I would try to extract the files first from the downloaded file as mentioned earlier.

garynickerson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and got the same error -- error 3.

0 Kudos
garynickerson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, EVW. It appears that the file downloaded correctly, based on the MD5 signature. In fact, I downloaded it with two different browsers, Firefox and IE 8. Thanks. I was happy to get this suggestion, even though it didn't solve my problem.

I'm still looking for suggestions.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1.) Try stopping your virus scan (and firewall) software for the time of installation.

2.) Even though I assume you do, make sure you run the installation as an Administrator?

André

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try disabling your AV and software firewall(s) and download again. Extract the files and make sure you have the full 71 items. Size of the extracted directory should be 1GB (1,077,660,687 bytes). Then try running the exe file within that directory first. If that doesn't fly, try the "vmware workstation.msi" file. If you had a previous release of VMware Workstation installed, try manually removing it first (programs and features control panel).

Just out of curiousity, how much free space does your system have? How about other spec's like processor, memory, etc...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
garynickerson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Both Andre's and goldiggie's answers were correct. VMware Workstation installed. Thanks guys.

0 Kudos