VMware Communities
Groves
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing VMWare Workstation 7 - Help please!!!

I am installing VMWare WS 7 for the first time (ever), and I am not getting past the first 10 seconds!

I have a new, reasonable spec desktop PC, with Win 7 Ultimate x64 installed. 200GB of free disk space, 4GB RAM.

As soon as I try running VMware-workstation-7.0.1-227600.exe (logged in as Administrator), it comes up with a weird dialog box - see screenshot below.

I have to use Task Manager to force the non-responsive window to

close.

The website expeditionoverland is mine, but I have no idea

why it appears in the dialog box, or what the connection is!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Michael...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Did you 'unblock' the installer first (get properties on it, there's a button on the first tab)?

0 Kudos
Groves
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, golddiggie. I didn't "unblock", but now I have - same result!

Interestingly, I have subsequently downloaded VMWare Player, and tried to install that, and it comes up with exactly the same unclosable dialog box. Very weird - in all other respects my system is stable and reliable.

I was wondering if it's somehow related to the browser - I use Firefox as the default browser rather than than IE. But my homepage is not set to expeditionoverland.com, and in fact I cannot see how the website bears any relation to VMWare. The local file "file:///C:/D198AEED/index.htm.htm" doesn't seem to exist either.

I'd love to use VMWare to set up some virtual OS's at work, but this has not been a promising start!

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Try extracting the installers from the exe file before you perform the install. You can do it by using the Run command line and entering: c:\VMware-workstation-full-7.0.1-227600.exe /extract "DestinationFolder" Basically, it's the full path to where the install exe file is located with the /extract switch added and the directory you want the files placed within. The folder will be created at the same directory level as the installer/exe file rests at. Once that's done, you'll have the actual MSI file that you can execute in order to perform the install.

I also use Firefox as my default browser, and didn't have any problem installing the latest release of Workstation.

EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you download WS 7.0 from the VMware website ? Try downloading WS 7.0 again from the VMware website and check the downloaded version with the MD5 checksum file.

Groves
Contributor
Contributor

Golddiggie, thanks for the excellent suggestion - that worked perfectly!

Interestingly, the extract process created a new "VMware-workstation-full-7.0.1-227600.exe" in the extract folder, which is just a few kB smaller than the downloadable version. And this new exe worked fine (as did clicking the msi file directly).

I have no idea what caused the original problem - something in the wrapper, but I can't imagine what.

Anyway, thanks a million - installing now, so I hope it all goes well.

Cheers,

Michael...

0 Kudos