Groves
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing VMWare Workstation 7 - Help please!!!

I am installing VMWare WS 7 for the first time (ever), and I am not getting past the first 10 seconds!

I have a new, reasonable spec desktop PC, with Win 7 Ultimate x64 installed. 200GB of free disk space, 4GB RAM.

As soon as I try running VMware-workstation-7.0.1-227600.exe (logged in as Administrator), it comes up with a weird dialog box - see screenshot below.

I have to use Task Manager to force the non-responsive window to

close.

The website expeditionoverland is mine, but I have no idea

why it appears in the dialog box, or what the connection is!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Michael...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Did you 'unblock' the installer first (get properties on it, there's a button on the first tab)?

Hosted Systems Engineer IV (VMware environment)
Brewing beer again!
0 Kudos
Groves
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, golddiggie. I didn't "unblock", but now I have - same result!

Interestingly, I have subsequently downloaded VMWare Player, and tried to install that, and it comes up with exactly the same unclosable dialog box. Very weird - in all other respects my system is stable and reliable.

I was wondering if it's somehow related to the browser - I use Firefox as the default browser rather than than IE. But my homepage is not set to expeditionoverland.com, and in fact I cannot see how the website bears any relation to VMWare. The local file "file:///C:/D198AEED/index.htm.htm" doesn't seem to exist either.

I'd love to use VMWare to set up some virtual OS's at work, but this has not been a promising start!

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Try extracting the installers from the exe file before you perform the install. You can do it by using the Run command line and entering: c:\VMware-workstation-full-7.0.1-227600.exe /extract "DestinationFolder" Basically, it's the full path to where the install exe file is located with the /extract switch added and the directory you want the files placed within. The folder will be created at the same directory level as the installer/exe file rests at. Once that's done, you'll have the actual MSI file that you can execute in order to perform the install.

I also use Firefox as my default browser, and didn't have any problem installing the latest release of Workstation.

Hosted Systems Engineer IV (VMware environment)
Brewing beer again!
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you download WS 7.0 from the VMware website ? Try downloading WS 7.0 again from the VMware website and check the downloaded version with the MD5 checksum file.

Groves
Contributor
Contributor

Golddiggie, thanks for the excellent suggestion - that worked perfectly!

Interestingly, the extract process created a new "VMware-workstation-full-7.0.1-227600.exe" in the extract folder, which is just a few kB smaller than the downloadable version. And this new exe worked fine (as did clicking the msi file directly).

I have no idea what caused the original problem - something in the wrapper, but I can't imagine what.

Anyway, thanks a million - installing now, so I hope it all goes well.

Cheers,

Michael...

0 Kudos