VMware Communities
babzog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem converting a virtual disk

Hey folks,

I have a windows xp virtual disk. It's 10gb in size, pre-allocated and split into 2gb chunks. I want to convert it to a single, growable file.

After googling, I tried:

"\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmanager.exe" -x 20GB "Windows XP Professional.vmdk"

followed by:

"\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmanager.exe" -r "Windows XP Professional.vmdk" -t 0 "Windows XP Professional2.vmdk"

but that only resulted in many 2GB files and a new Windows XP Professional2.vmdk file that was about 1.3MB in size.

What am I doing wrong and how do I go about getting a single vmdk file from my original?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The only thing you did wrong was to use the first command, which increased the size to 20 GB. All you needed was the 2nd command (which appears to have worked correctly). You did, however, change it from preallocated to growable.

Since you're on a Windows host, you may want to use my GUI wrapper for the vdiskmanager command... then you won't have to worry about the command syntax. See my profile for website.

Rob

Message was edited by: RDPetruska

Added info about GUI wrapper.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The only thing you did wrong was to use the first command, which increased the size to 20 GB. All you needed was the 2nd command (which appears to have worked correctly). You did, however, change it from preallocated to growable.

Since you're on a Windows host, you may want to use my GUI wrapper for the vdiskmanager command... then you won't have to worry about the command syntax. See my profile for website.

Rob

Message was edited by: RDPetruska

Added info about GUI wrapper.

0 Kudos
babzog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, I wanted to increase the size, but you were correct about only the second command being required to accomplish the conversion. However.... the image I was using turned out to be a useless image. It was sitting there on the server, seductively named "XPCleanBaseImage". Who wouldn't want that for starting fresh, right? Helps out if the OS is installed in it, doesn't it? LOL

I found the correct image to use and yes, that command works fine. I'm sure it did too in my case... just that the image of 1.3MB is correct for an empty image.

Sigh. Is it Friday yet?

Thank you.

0 Kudos