VMware Communities
ElectricZax
Contributor
Contributor

Problem: Workstation 7 to 8 = no internet

I know there are threads about that issue, but what I tried for the past couple of hours didn't help. Maybe it's because I'm not at all experienced with VMWare, Networking, etc.

The story:
Every now and again we receive a "Drive D" for one of the virtual machines we have and since I know a bit about computers my boss asks me to change the old one with the new one. But when we got the last one I couldn't add the drive, because it was made with Workstation 8, so I had to upgrade. I uninstalled the WS-7 and then installed the WS-8, I added the drive and everything was looking just great when I run the Virtual Machine that we have the Firewall on and that is responsible for the internet in the whole office. That's where the connection fails. Upgrading the VM and updating the VM Tools didn't help a bit.

The configuration:
We have this server that is running Windows 2003 and has VMWare installed. After that there are several virtual machines that all runs on it (Win 2003 as well). The Host has 4 (but only 2 are used) network cards. The first one is the one that receives the internet connection and the second one is spreading at through the office. All of the VMs has a Network Adapter that is set to "Bridged" connection and uses a 192.168.x.x IP address. This connection works. I can ping around to my heart's content. Two of the VMs (the one with the Firewall and the one for the Mail server) has an additional Network adapter that is set to "Custom (VMnet2)" and uses an IP address from our ISP (88.121.52.196/197). This is what is not working.

More spice before we finish (or Where my deductions got me to):

The Host uses the .194 IP and has internet, so it's not a cable/ISP problem.

Both Firewall and Mail machines can't connect so it's not a Firewall problem.

I also disabled the Windows Firewall on the Host machine (the other machines don't have it, because the Firewall VM is supposed to protect them) - it didn't work.

I noticed at Virtual Network Editor, that there are only VMnet0, 1 and 8, so I guess that's where the problem comes from. I added the VMnet2 network and played around with its settings, but it didn't help. That network is still beating me and wants someone better to play with ^.^

Final summation:

I don't know what to do. I don't know what other info to give, but I've been here all night and people will come to work in less than an hour. I want my head to stay where it belongs so I hope someone sees this and save me in time Smiley Happy. I'll be refreshing often (unless I crash from lack of sleep) and continue to look for a solution. I hope I find it.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ElectricZax
Contributor
Contributor

So... it turned out that VMnet0 was set "Bridged to: Automatic". So it didn't allow me to change VMnet2 to Bridged as well. Now they are both set to their corresponding NICs and everything works perfect. Have a nice day and thank you for reading this Heart

0 Kudos
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ElectricZax

welcome to vmware forum,

thanks for updated that problem is rectified,

in case you need any more information please let us know.

Yours, Abby

Winning!
0 Kudos