VMware Communities
JackRyan505
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Cloning in Workstation 6.5

When I select clone it says 'The virtual machine has no existing clonable snapshots' but I just created two snapshots.

In Manage Snapshots I can see they were created successfully. I checked the directory on my hard drive c:\VMImages\ for the files but only see the .vmdk files there, so then I find the other files living in c:\...\My Documents\My Virtual Machines.

Funny I don't know how the image got split up into two different directories, but I suspec this is the cause of the issue. I can create a snapshot configured to the c:\VMImages and then delete the My Docs but I'm afraid that there may be a dependancy from one snapshot to the ones that were made before.

I could just copy the files from my docs to the c:\VMImages but don't know what will happen.

Any idea how these files got split up and how I can get them back together into one 'cloneable' directory? I want to create an image (clone) to copy to another physical machine.

Thanks in advance,

JR

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you take the snapshots while the VM was running?

You can clone from snapshots taken only while the VM was in a powered-off state.

As for your files being split across directories... did you change the VM's working directory (VM > Settings > Options > General)?

0 Kudos