Tournevis
Contributor
Contributor

Printing problem

Hello there,

I have a little glitch with VMW workstation 5

The host is a WINXP SP2

The printer is parralel on LPT1

Now when I print from the host it works fine, if I print on the VMW box it works fine, but if the VMW is on, the host will not print anymore.

If I close the VMW then I can print again on the host !

I am new to the world of VMW and I am now clueless

All suggestions are welcome

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What you experience is correct. Only one OS may own a device at any given time. If you've assigned the parallel port to the guest, then when the guest is running, the host may not use that port. And, if a process on the host is using the port when you want to power on the guest, you will get an error message that the parallel port cannot be connected to the guest because it is in use.

0 Kudos
MtMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could print to your host's shared printer instead of printing directly to the parallel port using the guest.

This assumes that you have a network connection to your host, and that you change VM -> settings -> hardware so that the guest does not take control of the printer parallel port.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

MtMan has a good suggestion, configure the guest OS to use a shared network printer and configure it to use the printer on the host

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It seems I've come across this exact same question three times in the past week! Maybe a FAQ or something on how to use the forums might help some of the users get answers more quickly...

Regards!

Actually, I now see that this was a duplicate post that I had already answered for this user.

Message was edited by:

KYordy

0 Kudos