VMware Communities
jfcmckee
Contributor
Contributor

Printing from MSDOS VM

OK, I finally got MSDOS 6.22 installed in a VM (VMware Workstation Version 6.0.2 build-59824) after several attempts. The problem was when changing floppies in the USB-connected drive (on a HP Pavilion dv9000 w/no floppy drive) the file list apparently was not flushed and the installation/setup program thought it was still looking at Disk 1 instead of Disk 2. The workaround was to "disconnect" and then reconnect the floppy.

OK, MSDOS is now installed so I can run a legacy application (author is deceased - no possibility of an upgrade), but I need to be able to print to printer(s) connected to the host system. I believe that by default DOS print commands direct output to the PRN, but all I will have is either a networked printer or a USB-connected ink-jet printer.

Can someone lead me through the steps to have print output from the MSDOS VM directed to the printers on the host machine?

TIA,

John McKee

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

John,

Check out this kb article at Microsoft. As long as you have a networked printer on the host, then this should work.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
jfcmckee
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link to the KB article, but neither method worked in my case.

The net command is not part of MSDOS 6.22 so I cannot assign lpt1 or prn by that method

This is not a big deal since I was only hoping to be able to print to a networked printer to make sure the program ouput was proper - I don't have a locally connected Deskjet here where I'm setting up the MSDOS VM.

My attempt using the second method resulted as follows:

C:\print /d:
jfmplt\HP5100 c:\apm5\07-05FHS

List output is not assigned to a device

The environment in which VMware MSDOS VM will be used will only have access to a HP Deskjet printer attached via a USB connection, so the final printing solution has to accomplish connection by this (USB) method.

Any other suggestions?

TIA,

John

0 Kudos