VMware Communities
oznet
Contributor
Contributor

Previously opened tabs are not reopened correctly (Linux host)

This is something that has been bothering me for years. On a Linux host the "Remember opened virtual machines between sessions" doesn't seem to work correctly.

Very often when I reopen VMware it will not open the same tabs I had open previously. It also randomly rearranges the tab order. It seems to be quite random as to when it works or does not. The tab order is almost never remembered though.

Has no one else seen this? Am I doing something wrong? This hasn't worked for many years yet I couldn't find anyone else complaing of this. I'm running 64-bit 6.5.2-156735 on an Ubuntu 9.04 host but like I said, I have seen this on many of the previous versions of VMware.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
oznet
Contributor
Contributor

Should I put this in as a feature request or is it a bug? ie. Is this behavior deliberate?

What does Workstation do on Windows? Does it remember the tab order and the opened tabs correctly?

0 Kudos
oznet
Contributor
Contributor

Still doesn't work in 6.5.3

0 Kudos
xdeveshx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes its a bug in linux...

report it or try to install a fresh copy again...

or

run ubunto directly from CD / DVD and open some tabs and run command init 2 then again init 5... then try to open webpages again..

0 Kudos
oznet
Contributor
Contributor

I know installing a fresh copy makes no difference. This has been around for a long time (literally years) and I have since reinstalled VMware many times on clean systems.

I'll see if I can report it as a bug although the whole process has gotten confusing, I don't even know if I can report a bug without paying for a support contract.

I not sure I understand what you're talking about with the last comment. Change the run level? Open web pages? What does that have to do with VMware?

0 Kudos
volodyja
Contributor
Contributor

i've also have this problem in past. i have cleared all opened virtual machines directly from config file (opened it in text editor) and problem has disappeared.

0 Kudos
oznet
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I have tried erasing my entire .vmware directory (except for the license) and it still doesn't work.

For example, I just tried on a brand new machine. Clean OS install and clean new VMware install. I opened 4 virtual machines, arranged the tabs, closed VMware, reopened VMware and the tabs were all mixed up. Often it doesn't even open all the tabs I had open previously.

0 Kudos