VMware Communities
ED2021
Contributor
Contributor

Prevent CD/DVD Drive from Reloading Snapshot/Suspend

Hi,

I am running Workstation Pro 16. One of the issues I am trying to sort out is preventing a Bluray drive connected via USB from reloading when a snapshot or suspend is used. I need the drive to stay exactly the way it is for this test. The specific software I am working on scans a disc and loads that into RAM, I create a snapshot. When I go back to that later the disc is rescanned from the start as if it was a new disc and I lose all the RAM info I need.

Is there anyway that it can continue from exactly where I left off instead of reconnecting the drive and reloading the disc? Would an internal SATA work? I haven't tried that due to the current setup I am on.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Might it be the OS or an application making that happen?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not sure if you can change that behavior with snapshots unless you uninstall VMware Tools (which has other side effects)

For suspend/resume try switching the VM over to hard suspend instead of soft suspend.

You can change the behavior under settings:

wila_0-1621267178835.png

"Suspend guest" (soft suspend) notifies the guest we're about to suspend and allows it to act on that via vmware tools.

"Suspend" (without the guest) is the "hard suspend" and just does it thing without waiting on the guest for anything.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos