VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Present VT feature to guest OS

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a .vmx file entry that will cause Workstation to pass through the CPU VT feature to the guest OS?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Does anyone know of a .vmx file entry that will cause Workstation to pass through the CPU VT feature to the guest OS?

What do you mean? Allow the guest to control the VT hardware? This seems like a bad idea.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The virtual CPU does not support VT. You can force the cpuid feature flag to 1 through the .vmx file, but all of the VT instructions will still fault.

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert

VT is only supported in Workstation 6 with Ubuntu 7.0.4. It's a check box on Options/Advanced under the guest setttings

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I believe you may be thinking of VMI (paravirtualization support). There is no way to enable VT in the guest in any current VMware product

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the replies guys, what I'm trying to do it install Virtual Iron under Workstation 6, it checks for CPU VT support on boot and refuses to go further if it doesn't detect it is available.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Right. Virtual Iron requires the VMX extensions (a.k.a. VT), and VMware's virtual CPUs do not provide them. Unfortunately, it's not as straightforward as just passing through the capability flag. I would be surprised if you could run Virtual Iron under Virtual Iron, for the same reason.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In Virtual Box you can specify to pass VT to the guest - but I doubt it will work for Virtual Iron - it didn't work to run Viridian either

0 Kudos