VMware Communities
Strider46
Contributor
Contributor

Powerpoint font problems in Virtual Machine

Hi,

I'm running Workstation 6 on a Ubuntu 7.04 box with Win XP Pro as the guest op system. VM build is 6.0.0-build-45731 and XP is full patched.

When I open a chart in PowerPoint that has been created by a co-worker on a straight Win XP machine and then close it, even without actually making changes, the fonts become very ragged at the edges, and thus rendered useless. This only happens when editing charts. Text boxes, headers and footers etc. render OK.

Has anyone had this problem and found a workaround? PowerPoint is one of our most used applications and we are currently evaluating VMWare as we wish to install it company wide, but we need to find a fix for this for that to happen. This is the only problem we have had so far.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

0 Kudos
9 Replies
helfire
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same problem with Fedora Core 6. No one seams to have a solution. We're deploying vmware slowly, but this problem has halted it. Is there any way I can provide information to help solve this problem? I've seen many posts like this with no solution.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try following the instructions in this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=92074

0 Kudos
helfire
Contributor
Contributor

No change, still can't see pictures in powerpoint.

0 Kudos
2hansen
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with PowerPoint. Images and backgrounds are not rendered, unless I drag the window out of screen edges and back.

Host: Ubuntu Feisty (7.04)

Guest: Windows XP SP2 (Danish)

I am using a dual screen setup too.

When executing a Java (Swing) application it is also rendered incorrectly. In this case I can switch (ctrl + alt + enter) full screen on and off, and it is all right.

When is vmware expecting to solve this issue - especially the PowerPoint problem makes it difficult for me to work with the VMWare Workstation.

Message was edited by:

2hansen

Found this http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=693312&#693312 which recommends a "work around"...

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does it go away if you turn off the graphics acceleration?

0 Kudos
2hansen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, both problems disappear when disabling the graphics acceleration. But this seems like a temporary solution only if it affects the system's speed?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

This issue has been fixed in Workstation 6.0.1, please download the new version from the VMware Web Site.

Changing the hardware acceleration in the display settings was a workaround until it was fixed.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can i have a kudos point for guessing that?

(We had a similar problem with laptops showing dvds .. turned out to be a compaq driver issue)

0 Kudos
2hansen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, 6.0.1 seems to fix these issues. Too bad the "Check for update on the web" didn't find this update - I thought that this was the purpose of this menu item?

0 Kudos