VMware Communities
simpleonline123
Contributor
Contributor

Possible to install VMworkstation on portable hard drive from Dell laptop and run it on Dell Desktop?

What I would like to know is if it is even possible to be able to install vmware on my portable hard drive from my laptop and save all my work to that drive and be able to run the drive from my desktop at work?

They are two different systems...makes, models, etc.

Or does the vmware workstation HAVE to be to used by the same type system that it was created on?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The Workstation product (or Player) must be installed on the computer you want to run your guest VM image on.  The VM files itself can be stored anywhere.  I usually keep my VMs on an external drive so that I can run them on multiple computers... but the VMware software needs to be installed on each of those different computers.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what has already been said, while Virtual Machines are portable and can be used on different physical machines keep in mind that Windows OSes that require phoning home for WPA (Windows Product Activation) that you can end up having to deal with WPA as you move a Virtual Machine back and forth and this can become quite problematic.  OSes other then Windows and non-WPA version of Windows should not be a problem.

0 Kudos