VMware Communities
DarknesS00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Portforwarding isn't working properly in Ubuntu 18.04- Workstation14.1.2

Hi there,

I've been trying to find a way through this issue myself , but it turns that all the things I've done weren't enough to get me through.

My problem is simply with the port forwarding feature, once I do all the options I want for my forwarded port and click "save" , the problem starts. I have no internet in my virtual machine !

Again , once I reset all settings to default and remove the forwarded port from the list, the internet comes back. I've searched for many issues around the community, but it seems that nothing works.(till now Smiley Happy).

Also, I've tried the same thing in a windows machine, and it worked ; however, it doesn't in my Ubuntu.

pastedImage_2.png

A screenshot that shows the options I'm trying to set.

VMware® Workstation 14 Pro

14.1.2 build-8497320

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you already have something listening on TCP port 11203 on the host?  To check, launch a shell on your host and run the following command:

sudo lsof -itcp:11203

The output should look something like this:

COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME

vmnet-nat 16672 root    8u  IPv4 1140655184      0t0  TCP *:11203 (LISTEN)

In this case, it's the vmnet NAT daemon which has successfully opened the host TCP port for forwarding to the VM.

If you have some other process listening on that host TCP port (or even an extra NAT service trying to forward that same port number to somewhere else), the NAT service will fail in the way you describe.  (It looks like we could improve usability by adding a warning/error for this case...)

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you already have something listening on TCP port 11203 on the host?  To check, launch a shell on your host and run the following command:

sudo lsof -itcp:11203

The output should look something like this:

COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME

vmnet-nat 16672 root    8u  IPv4 1140655184      0t0  TCP *:11203 (LISTEN)

In this case, it's the vmnet NAT daemon which has successfully opened the host TCP port for forwarding to the VM.

If you have some other process listening on that host TCP port (or even an extra NAT service trying to forward that same port number to somewhere else), the NAT service will fail in the way you describe.  (It looks like we could improve usability by adding a warning/error for this case...)

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ubuntu18.04 is the host machine, right? In addition to the host listenning port check Darius suggest, would you plese also check if the deamon "vmnet-natd" exists when you hit the issue? You can check by "ps -afx | grep vmnet-natd"

0 Kudos