VMware Communities
fredsato
Contributor
Contributor

Port configuration

Hi,

Could anyone tell what host ports, protocol type, and VM's ports on NAT should be to connect VMs in VM workstation 14?

I try ping, but IP undiscovered.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why don't we start with the problem and go from there. Is ping just not working for you? How is your VM configured for network access, and from where to where are you trying to ping?

0 Kudos
fredsato
Contributor
Contributor

I have Win 7(192.168.77.135) and Win 10 (192.168.77.136) VMs with port 80 for both.

Type TCP for host and ports 80 and 443.

They do not see each other.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

How are your VMs using host networking? NAT? Bridged? Private? Is there anything listening on port 80 on each of those VMs? Web server?

0 Kudos
fredsato
Contributor
Contributor

NAT VMnet8.

I just can ping DNS 192.168.77.2.

The Gateway 192.168.77.254 does not respond.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If both of your VMs are NATd and you can ping from one to the other but not access port 80, you either have a service-level issue or a firewall issue. There is no native firewall between nodes behind the same NAT.

0 Kudos
fredsato
Contributor
Contributor

Excuse me, I can ping DNS and Gateway (192.168.77.2).

The DHCP (192.168.77.254) does not respond.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

DHCP has nothing to do with whether one VM can contact another over port 80 that are on the same L2.

0 Kudos
fredsato
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried different combinations of ports and protocols, but they do not ping each other.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Can VM A ping VM B? Yes or no?

0 Kudos
fredsato
Contributor
Contributor

No.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then you have firewall issues inside your VM. Check Windows firewall.

0 Kudos
fredsato
Contributor
Contributor

Just to show:

VMware Workstation 14 .png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You don't need port forwarding if you aren't trying to access ports 80 and 443 from the outside world (exterior to the host). But, that said, I'll reiterate my last point. If Win7 cannot ping Win10, then you have host-to-host connectivity issues that has nothing to do with port forwarding or the like.

0 Kudos