VMware Communities
sockscap01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Poor performance in VMWare Workstation 10 Guest VM, Windows Experience Index score on Memory is low

Host spec is AMD A10-5800 CPU & 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM(dual-channel), running VMware workstation 10 on Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit. WEI (Windows Experience Index) score on Memory is 7.3.

Guest is running Windows 7 SP1 Professional 32-bit. VMware tool has been installed. The WEI score on memory is only 4.5. I can feel the lag when working in the guest, because of the poor RAM performance issue.

Any way to optimize the guest performance?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I assume the guest has more than 960MB and less than 1.5GB of memory?  The highest possible memory subscore with less than 1.5GB of memory is 4.5.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Remember the performance of the VM will always be less than that of the host machine - is there any thing running on the host besides the workstation and the VM?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I assume the guest has more than 960MB and less than 1.5GB of memory?  The highest possible memory subscore with less than 1.5GB of memory is 4.5.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To maximize your WEI memory subscore, assign the guest 4GB of memory and (since your guest is 32-bit) enable PAE with:

bcdedit /set [{current}] pae ForceEnable

0 Kudos
sockscap01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

awesome! yes, I assigned 1.5GB RAM to the guest. I never thought it's the RAM size issue.

I just increased the RAM to 1.75 GB, and got 5.5 subscore on memory immediately.

as I only have over 7GB RAM usable on host (due to integrated GPU), 4GB RAM for a VM is a little luxurious, but I will test how much RAM provide a good balance. Thanks again for the suggestion.

0 Kudos