VMware Communities
myitanalyst
Contributor
Contributor

Poor Man's Guide to VMWare Lab Manager - Using VMWare Desktop

Hello fellow VMWare lovers...

We have a Software Development Team in our office using various development environments (Delphi, Visual Studio). Along with needing to keep these development environments current we also need to have test servers for web and multi-tier applications.

For a single developer this is not big deal and we can simply use VMWare Workstation for this. But with multiple developers we would like to have a "master" development environment that all developers will ultimately work from along with some master test servers that we can use. Each developer will have a VMWare Desktop license.

We would like to do the following:

- Create the Master Development environment with all of the latest development fixes. And then make sure each developer gets this environment. Obviously the computer name would need to change and the SID since it is part of a Windows 2003 AD.

- Create the Master Servers which is essentionally 1 2003 Web Server and 1 Application Server. I would want each developer to be able to have a clone of these to work with. These do need access to the Windows 2003 AD so they would need to have different computer names and SID as they are cloned or used by each developer.

- Over time as the Development environment is updated with the latest tools we will want to make this the new Master Development Environment and then re-distribute them to each developer.

So the big question is... can this be done with just VMWare Desktop along with some manual work?

What do I have to worry about... computer name, SID, etc...

If so do you have any guidance or wisdom you could share in regards to this or recommendations?

Ultimately we do want to go to Virtual Lab Manager and the Infrastructure product to help manage all of this, but I first have to make a case for this and take baby steps before taking the big steps as directed by the Directory of IT.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Greg

0 Kudos
0 Replies