VMware Communities
Laura_Genetti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please upgrade your virtual machine to enable high-speed USB 2.0 support ...

If I insert my (Corsair Flash Voyager GT) USB memory when a VMware machine is focused I get the following error:

"Please upgrade your virtual machine to enable high-speed USB 2.0 support for the device "Removable Disk". An attempt will be made to connect this device to the best available host controller. This may result in an undefined behavior for this device"

The strange thing is that I'm using VMware Workstation 6.0.2 build-59824 that is the last version. What does it mean by the words "upgrade your virtual machine"?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds like the VM was created using an earlier version of VMware Workstation or Server. VM's created using Workstation 6.x allow the use of USB 2.0 devices. Open the VM and click "VM" on the menu bar and select "Upgrade or Change Version". Select Workstation 6.0 as the type of VM. Boot the VM and you should be all set.

Remember, if this VM came from an older version, you might want to upgrade the VM Tools as well.

mike

mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds like the VM was created using an earlier version of VMware Workstation or Server. VM's created using Workstation 6.x allow the use of USB 2.0 devices. Open the VM and click "VM" on the menu bar and select "Upgrade or Change Version". Select Workstation 6.0 as the type of VM. Boot the VM and you should be all set.

Remember, if this VM came from an older version, you might want to upgrade the VM Tools as well.

mike

mike
0 Kudos
JWD5511
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi mike,

i've the same problem. But i can't upgrade my VM 'cause the point "Upgrade or Change Version" is grey.

I use the latest version 6.0.2 build 59824. The VM was biuld with 5.x.

The VM Tools are upgraded.

Any more tips and hints?

Thanks

Jens

0 Kudos
pavel-a
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have same problem with the latest Workstation 6.04 and USB 2.0 flash drive.

The VM was created with Server 1.0. I don't plan to upgrade the virtual hardware for compatibility reasons.

The guest OS is Vista SP1. The device worked fine with Workstation 5.5.

After displaying the messages mentioned in original post, the USB mass storage device appears with error #10 in Device Manager.

Please, any solution available?

-- Pavel A.

0 Kudos
labarnes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

I have exactly the same issue. Different USB device, but the same error message and I cannot access the "Upgrade or Change Version..." item as it is disabled.

The original VMWare session was created in v5.x and I am now using v6.5.1 Workstation.

Please can someone help?

Thanks!

Lee

0 Kudos
labarnes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

It's been 9 days and still nobody has replied. Surely other people must have seen this before? Basically I want to upgrade my VM Workstation 5.x session to 6.x and the "Upgrade" option is greyed out!

I've tried re-installing VMTools, but still no joy. Tempted to try out the Microsoft Virtual Machine as I am fed up with VMWare. :smileyangry:

Lee

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

add

ehci.present = "true"

to the vmx-file - that enables USB 2

Tip: don't add to posts that are marked as answered - all those reward-point hunters will ignore posts once they are answered

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos