VMware Communities
dude444
Contributor
Contributor

Please explain concept?

I have VMware 7.1 in 3 pc's (laptop/server/laptop),

the thing is after running the Vmware software & installing multiple OS in all the hosts,

what is the concept behind virtualization?

Simply having another OS inside another Operating system is like why don't you create another hdd partition & install OS there & take it from there?

Someone please elaborate if I am not mistaken?

Regards.

Use of technology - don't abuse it use it wisely otherwise fooling a lot of users.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you didn't have an understanding of or grasp the concepts of and for virtualization then why did you install VMware Workstation and then in turn create Virtual Machine's and install Guest OSes in the first place?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The concept is simple:

1. Hardware utilization. Run several servers as virtual machines running on one physical system. In this case we use ESX.

2. System testing, Run a couple of sharepoint servers in virtual machines to test development before moving to production. I do this in Workstation running 2 virtual servers simultaneously.

3. Again in WS, I run virtual machines to test software development. This allows testing on several platforms whether it is different versions of Windows or different distro's of Linux. Nobody in their right mind would test/debug my software on a real system.

4. I run a Windows system, in a VM, to manage the ESXi server.

5. Stuff that won't run in Windows 7 can run in "XP Mode", which is an XP system VM running via Virtual PC on top of Win7 (MS flavor).

6. Wash, rinse, dry, repeat. Smiley Happy

If your mission is to just run different operating systems, one at a time, mult-boot on one machine may be all you need.

Lou

dude444
Contributor
Contributor

Lou,

Thanks a lot,

I was merely trying out Vmware & Hyper V on different OS's.

Now I perfectly understand why their is a need for virtualization before production which makes a lot of sense.

Don't want to compile & build before until you know for sure you won't get errors!!!

Did some C++, hmm,

thanks anyway.

Shaz

God bless the queen

gob bless United states

God bless the tzar of Russia

God bless Ghandi.

0 Kudos
Joe1948
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use it to test freeware before installing on actual pc. If it messes system up just delete it and bring up a new copy. It's useful when slipstreaming Windows to make sure it works. I run XP and Vista on it for some special apps. XP mode in Windows 7 was pretty lame I've got some old software that doesn't work on Windows 7. It depends on what you want to do. Want to try Linux? Want even older Windows os Win 95? Then you can get into much more exotic stuff if you wish.

Joe

0 Kudos