VMware Communities
Cecil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Player v2.0 and Workstation v.5.5.6 VMs = USB 2.0?

Hello.

I am happy running with Workstation v.5.5.6 at the moment despite only having slower USBnamely, non-v2.0support.

With the advent of Player v2.0 on the scene does this mean it might be possible to run a VM created by Workstation v5.5.6 with USB 2.0 support?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards, Cecil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VM would have to be upgraded to the Workstation 6 version virtual hardware, and the USB 2.0 controller settings enabled. By doing this, you would no longer be able to open/edit the VM in your Workstation 5.x version.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VM would have to be upgraded to the Workstation 6 version virtual hardware, and the USB 2.0 controller settings enabled. By doing this, you would no longer be able to open/edit the VM in your Workstation 5.x version.

0 Kudos
DeafMCSA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will have to agree with RDPetruska's posting. If you want to take the advantage of USB 2.0 speed, need to purchase upgrade to WS 6.0.4. If you prefer to keep your currect VM as it is without upgrading, 6.0.x will let you continue to use that VM as 5.x.x, clone that VM and the new VM, change and upgrade the VM Tools to the current version and will be able to use the USB 2.0 feature.

There are more features in 6.0.x than what you have and you may regret that you may like 6.0.x over 5.x.x.

birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can I mention VMX Builder here? I hope you have already added VMWare 6.0 hardware to the list of possible options.

If your builder allows creating VMWare 6 compatible VMs then the topic starter doesn't need to purchase VMWare 6.x Smiley Wink

Cecil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello.

Thanks to all for your insightful replies.

We certainly do plan, in early 2009, to migrate to Workstation 6. As you can imagine, in the interim, the slower USB speed is starting to take its toll in terms of how we use our VMs in our IT strategy.

I have a simple follow-up question then. Does version 6.x just install over existing version 5.5.6 or must I completely uninstall the older version first? I am concerned about whether important settings will get lost during an uninstall.

0 Kudos
DeafMCSA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe that you should be able to upgrade over 5.5.6 without losing it settings. It been a while since I upgrade from 5.x.x to 6.x.x for Windows. For Linux host, I know that I had to uninstall the 6.0.4 before I install 6.5 Beta 2. That was the same with 6.5 RC2. I am going to give you some suggestion below:

I recommend that you document or screen snapshot your settings. The best practice is to take a spare system and install 5.5.6 evaluation and configure the system that you had on the production system and do a upgrade or uninstall 5.x.x/install 6.x.x. Confirm if there any difficulty that you run into before you do the upgrade in 2009. By then I believe VMware Workstation 6.5.x will be out; this is my guess when VMware may release 6.5.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can I mention VMX Builder here? I hope you have already added VMWare 6.0 hardware to the list of possible options.

If your builder allows creating VMWare 6 compatible VMs then the topic starter doesn't need to purchase VMWare 6.x Smiley Wink

Birdie, I've had version 6-compatible VMs built into my Builder since Workstation 6 was in private beta. Smiley Wink Current version has support for Workstation 6.5/Player 2.5/Fusion 2/Server 2 betas as well, and lots more parameters.

Rob

0 Kudos