VMware Communities
infiniter
Contributor
Contributor

Player 12/14 on Windows 10 - basic questions

Hello community! Perhaps the pros around here can enlighten me or other readers. TIA!

On my Windows 10 PC with OS version 1709 the player 12 or 14 don't run. Same for Workstation, of course. They start, stay in the background as task, consume ~1/4 of CPU power and nothing else. So I thought, may be the player requires some Windows services to run which may be deactivated, because there are many services on Windows 10 you don't need. One thing in the requirements of a software to run is mostly forgotten by the programmers: the services. I could not find any information if the player needs - perhaps - Hyper V.

I know, many would probably ask "if there are any antivirus tools running, try again with them turned off", but in my case (company PC) there is an antivirus tool from McAfee running and neither I'm allowed to

Is any Windows service required to run the player? If so, which one(s)?

Are there known problems/issues like mine with Windows 10 1709?

Can antivirus tools prevent the player from running and if so, why? (I mean, such tools are very common, so you a) don't turn them off and b) they are nothing unusual)

If we download the player it says "for 64-bit version of Windows", but installs in \Programs (x86) and runs in 32 bit - why?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
infiniter
Contributor
Contributor

It may be considered as being impatient, but no reply after one day in this very active forum makes me wonder if topics about the Player are not welcome here, because the Player is free.

But the problem is also with the not free of charge Workstation. Just to mention that. The vmware staff should be able to give a statement. Somebody must know something.

0 Kudos