VMware Communities
SchmidA2
Contributor
Contributor

Ping loss by Bridge-Mode (VMWare Workstation 8)

Hi all,

I´m testing at the moment the new VMWare 8 Workstation but I have massive problems with ping losses during a VM is running in bridge mode.

The Problem starts as soon as the VM is in the login screen and the user logs in. And when I try to access the internet from the VM.

I also tried the VMWare Version 7 but same problem. It makes no difference which OS I am using. And when I start the same VM from another computer everything works fine...

The most confusing thing for me: Also my other none VM Clients (hardware Clients) have ping losses to my router gateway (192.168.2.1) as long as the VM is turned on an tries to access the internet.

Environment:

HOST (Server):

Hardware: CPU: Intel Core I3-2100T, Mainboard: P8H67-M PRO, LAN: Realtek® 8111E Gigabit LAN controller

IP: 192.168.2.2 /24

G: 192.168.2.1

DNS1: 192.168.2.2

DNS2: 192.168.2.1

VM:

IP: 192.168.2.4 /24

Network infrastructure:

Internet <----------------- Draytek-Router --------->  5-Port Gigabit Switch ---------> Host and Clients + VM

IP: 192.168.2.1 /24

DHCP Enabled

I spent the whole weekend in this problem but I was not able to fix it... Any ideas? Im clueless now 😞

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Schmid

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Does the switch report heavy traffic coming from the VM or the host respectively?

Which speed is the host NIC working on?

Do you have ping problem within the LAN or only to hosts on the Internet?

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
SchmidA2
Contributor
Contributor

Its a unmanaged switch so there is no option for reports.

But there are only 2 devices on that switch. (Host + Client)

The Host and Client that are directly connected to the Gigabit Switch have Gigabit speed and connection to Router is 100Mbit.

Host/Client ---1GB/s---> Switch ---100mbit---> Router ---> Internet

The ping within LAN is ok except to my gateway (Router). That means Client (192.168.2.10) can still ping Host (192.168.2.2) without any problems.

But the ping to my gateway (Router) 192.168.2.1 is on all clients not working or lets say with massive packet loss.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

SchmidA2 schrieb:

Its a unmanaged switch so there is no option for reports.

But it has lights, hasn't it?

SchmidA2 schrieb:

The Host and Client that are directly connected to the Gigabit Switch have Gigabit speed and connection to Router is 100Mbit.

Host/Client ---1GB/s---> Switch ---100mbit---> Router ---> Internet

The ping within LAN is ok except to my gateway (Router). That means Client (192.168.2.10) can still ping Host (192.168.2.2) without any problems.

But the ping to my gateway (Router) 192.168.2.1 is on all clients not working or lets say with massive packet loss.

Maybe you have trouble with the 100 MBit/s handshake between the switch and the router. Missconfigured (or not configurable) settings like FDX on one port and HDX on the other or Autonegotiation often lead to collisions (which should not take place in a switched environment) and that can lead to considerable speed loss due to many retransmitts. You may not notice that with one active host, but if the guest generates traffic (you still need to check why) retransmit rate will also increase.

Any chance to connect the host directly to the router and check how it is working then?

AWo

0 Kudos
SchmidA2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the Switch has lights and sometimes the lights are flashing a little bit faster. But I think its normal speed.

I also thought that maybe the connection between my Router and Switch is the problem and already connected Host and Client directly with the Router and completely unplugged the Gbit-Switch. But still the same problem.

And the other Point: If I start the VM from the Client-PC (192.168.2.10, Windows 7) that is also connected with the Gbit-Switch everything is working fine. Only when I start the VM from the HOST-PC (Server 2008 R2, 192.168.2.2) I have that problems...

I also already tried many things on the host system updating drivers and so on... But no changes...

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

What does "perfmon - NIC - packets outbound discarded and errors" on the W2K8 host show you?

AWo

0 Kudos
SchmidA2
Contributor
Contributor

Perfmon shows no discarded or errors by Packets Outbound.

I did this test on the Host and VM.

I really have no glue where this problem comes frome... Is that a problem on my network or on my host...

0 Kudos
SchmidA2
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:

I was able to get a step forward...

I spent another plenty of hours in this problem and replaced really everthing. From cable to software and back. but still same problem.

But my last action seems to be successfull. During all my test I had disabled the installed Symantec Virus Scanner&Firewall. But in anyway it was not completely disabled.

Because yesterday night I uninstalled the Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite and everything was working. It seems that Symantec blocks the traffic or something else.

Now I reinstalled the Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite and it was still working. But after all Virus Engine&Definition Updates it is not working anymore... How can I configure the Symantec Endpoint Protection Firwall to work with VMs?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos