VMware Communities
RobMawdesley
Contributor
Contributor

Physical pc to connect to team network

I have setup in vmware workstation 6 a lab (using a team network). Int he lab of virtual machines I have a Domain controller (running dhcp) and a host of other virtual machines. This works fine as it is.

For some testing I would like to connect a different physical machine to my host machine (via cross over cable) - either on the built in network card or I'll purchase a seperate card.

Ideally I would like the new physical machine to be able to connect on the same network range (192.168.x.x) as the "team network", and the physical machine getting it's dhcp address from the domain controller (so the physical machine has a 192.168.x.x address). I assume this can be done in some form using the network setting in vmware workstation, although I have no clue how to do this.

Any ideas how this can be done would be gratefully received

Thanks Rob

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm assuming you have your VM's using NAT? You could set them to be Bridged and put the physical host and other physical system on the same switch and it will just work.

mike

mike

0 Kudos
RobMawdesley
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply Mike, However I'm not using NAT.

In Workstation 6 you can setup a team and make a LAN segment (like a vlan) for them to communicate on. All the machine are in this lan segment and I would like a real machine to be able to connect to this lan segment (and obtain an ip address from the dhcp on a virtual machine)

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Then you are using Bridged? If so, then just put both physical machines on the same switch and you should be all set.

mike

0 Kudos
RobMawdesley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again Mike but the adaptor is not NATed or bridge int he setup I had. As I understand the team network doesn't usually have access to host out side the segment (even the host).

I have managed toi solve the problem myself. I added a second network card to the host pc. Then added a new vmnet to bridge the adaptor and then put my physical machine cross wired to the host. Changed all the machines to this new vmnet9 (i think) nd reall machine work great on my virtual network

One thing I may have failed to say is that I want to continue to use the host on our corporate LAN (hence couldn't use bridge network & the built in network card).

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ah, sorry Rob. I mis-understood what you were asking.

mike

0 Kudos
munin
Contributor
Contributor

I have configuered 5 guest OS (windows server 2003) on Vmware workstation. Among them three servers are on Host only network and other two are on Bridge network and NAT respectively. All Guest os are on a single LAN (i.e Team).

I can connect the server on Bridge or NAT to internet. But I am unable to ping the servers (on host only network) from the server (on bridge or NAT. IP assigned to host only network is of Class A subnet. And server on Bridge or NAT is dynamically assigned by DHCP service.

Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos