VMware Communities
JoshRMT
Contributor
Contributor

Paying 1000$ for anyone that can get SWTOR working on VMWare Workstation

I will PayPal or bank transfer $1000 to anyone that can get the new PC game 'Starwars:  The Old Republic' working properly on VMWare Workstation.  Simple as that.  I am willing to discuss the issue on the phone, I just need a solution ASAP.  If you are interested in helping me with this, please email me at joshrmt@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Josh Griffith

A frustrated VMWare Workstation customer

0 Kudos
46 Replies
DanielBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

bit late but im trying to dig this problem back up. im try to play two clients of the game at the same time, i have followed this thread and i have been able to get past a loading screen, im using VMware Player, i dont know if that should affect anything. If their is more info i can give so that you can help i'd do so gladly. current using the VMware tools that was linked up above in this thread.

and of cousre moments after posting this i got it to work Smiley Happy but its running in an unusable state, so slow cant even do anything

0 Kudos
jonoo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same black screen issues.  I am using VMware fusion 4 with Windows 7.  I spent about 5 hours on this problem to no avail.  I installed the old vmware tool drivers and that helped a little.  I got the character select screen but when I try to start the game from there it hangs while loading.  Also the sound is disabled.  I have a new macbookpro 15".  Can anyone point me to a fix for this? 

Model Name:     MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:     MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name:     Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:     2.2 GHz

Number of Processors:     1

Total Number of Cores:     4

L2 Cache (per Core):     256 KB

L3 Cache:     6 MB

Memory:     8 GB

Boot ROM Version:     MBP81.0047.B26

SMC Version (system):     1.69f3

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:     Enabled

As a side note I had a LOT of issues downloading the game.  Kept hanging while downloading and I had to restart several times before it installed.  Already tried uninstalling and re-installing (that was a huge pain).  Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
jonoo
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I got this reliably working.  I used the old drivers referenced earlier in this thread.  The other trick for me was that I needed to manually set all the graphice to the absolute minimum.  I was getting to the character select screen and it was locking up after that.  From that screen you can change the graphics.  Pick low and then go through and disable "conversation depth of field" and any other settings that are not at their absolute lowest.  For me the trcik ended up being "conversation depth of field" which is enabled by default with low settings.  With that enabled it locks up every time. 

Played it last night in VMware for a couple hours.  Looks really ugly, especially indoors but it at least worked.

Is VMWare working on a fix for this so we can play with the new drivers and better settings????

Jon

0 Kudos
JarettHA
Contributor
Contributor

There is a new workstation and fusion beta out.  It appears they are reworking graphics considerably, I guess for the push to Win8

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/workstationtp2012

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/fusiontp2012

--> Graphics Rendering – We have made substantial changes  to our graphics virtualization code. We are in the process of optimizing  the new graphics code for performance, but currently need feedback to  ensure that applications are rendering correctly and are stable.

You may want to give it a try and see how it works.  (Unless you rely on your VMs for day to day business, then I'd say don't)

0 Kudos
jonoo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I tried it out and it tanked pretty horribly. Crazy screen glitches after updating VM tools and the usual lock ups before. I think I've reached my wits end with VMWare working for this. My previously "working" setup actually started locking up too. I guess I need to convince my IT guy to install boot camp Smiley Happy Thanks again,

Jon

0 Kudos
niklasthulin
Contributor
Contributor

Hey all! Thought to reopen this thread.

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15 "and using VMware Fusion 5.0.0 with Windows 7 64bit prof. In my work and we have a lot of programs that can not work, so I need to get a solution that works without crashing VMware Fusion in my work.

The problem I have is when I start SWTOR and the program starts, it starts the screen just to "flicker" then becomes all black but the mouse icon is still flickers.

Is there a solution for this without ruining VMware Fusion?

Thanks in advance

/ Niklas

0 Kudos
imranch
Contributor
Contributor

having same problem what to do

http://www.coc.qu.edu.sa/en

0 Kudos