VMware Communities
entropy11
Contributor
Contributor

Passing Hotkeys to Host for Windows 10 Virtual Desktop Switching

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a way to make certain keyboard combinations transparent to a VM running in Workstation 12.  In particular, I run a VM in fullscreen (spanning 4 monitors), and I also use multiple Windows 10 virtual desktops.  It seems that the only way I can switch virtual desktops is to first CTRL-ALT out of the VM, then CTRL-WIN-ARROW to switch desktops.  I do this quite often, so I would like to be able to pass the CTRL-WIN-ARROW combination directly to the host, so I can switch virtual desktops with fewer keystrokes.  Any ideas?  If not, maybe this should be a feature request.

Thanks!

4 Replies
Lee12345667
Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking for the same thing.  Did you come up with anything?

0 Kudos
Leaskovski
Contributor
Contributor

I would love the ability to do this.  I thought about using AutoHotkey on the Guest and Host to be able to capture the Windows Shortcut to switch VDs on the guest and thus issue a CTRL ALT to pop focus to the host, and then somehow trigger the host AutoHotKey to figure out what has just happened and reissue the Windows Shortcut to switch VDs.  I haven't been able to get this to work yet though as figuring out the focus switch to the host from guest is because of this key combo is hard, if not impossible.

Has anyone raised this as a feature request to VMWare?

0 Kudos
chrismoberly
Contributor
Contributor

Just in case anyone else runs into this...

I've found a solution that is "good enough".

1.) Go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Hotkeys"

2.) Change the configuration to highlight "Ctrl" and "Win"

Now, when you are full-screen and focused on your VM, to switch desktops you hit "Ctrl + Win" and then "Ctrl + Win + Arrow".

Setting the hotkey this way is the quickest, with the least motion required for your fingers. It's still two presses, but I've gotten used to it after about 10 minutes. The first press removes the focus from the VM, allowing the second press to switch desktops.

0 Kudos
mackpt1
Contributor
Contributor

Here is how to Use Virtual Desktop feature in Windows 10

1- Click on the ‘Task View’ icon located in your taskbar besides the search box in windows 10.

2- If you have not created any virtual desktop till now then you will see all the program windows that are opened in your default Desktop, neatly arrange in tile format. To create a virtual desktop click on the ‘New Desktop’ button located on the bottom right corner.

3- As soon as you click on the button, a new desktop will be created.

Now you will be able to see all the desktops that you have created along with the default desktop.

Source:- https://merabheja.com/create-virtual-desktops-windows-10/

0 Kudos