VMware Communities
CaptJohn6
Contributor
Contributor

PCI IO card not found

I have VMware workstation 15 installed on Centos host with Windows 7 VM's.  I have a PCI-DIO24 card which does not show in the windows 7 VM device manager.  what do I need to do for the VM to recognize this card so I can add the drivers?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You cannot.  The hosted virtualization products do not support PCI pass-through.

0 Kudos
ASadovsky
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please clarify what does "hosted virtualization products" mean and which product should I use to have PCI support? Thanks!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Hosted virtualisation products -> products that run under a host OS. So VMware Workstation, Player and Fusion are all "hosted products"

The only VMware product that supports PCI passthrough is VMware vSphere. But that means running it on bare metal.

If that's not what you need/want, then have a look at Linux KVM.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ASadovsky
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, wila​!

Thank you for the response! heh.. it seems it's not a solution for me, I have PC with Windows 10 and also have PCI-device which works only on Windows XP (there are no drivers for another Windows versions), so I'm trying to find a solution with a virtual PC that can be launched on windows 10, so I can install Windows XP and connect my device.

But earlier, the VMWare Workstation had support of PCI? maybe I need to find older version?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

No sorry, PCI Passthrough never has been supported in VMware Workstation.

If you want to run it on a Windows host, then perhaps Hyper-V will work.

However from what I just read on the internet, only the server versions support this, not Windows 10.

I might be wrong though as I am not that familiar with Hyper-V.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ASadovsky
Contributor
Contributor

clear, thank you again!

0 Kudos