VMware Communities
Josp43234525235
Contributor
Contributor

PC-Reset -> No .vmx file anymore (Can't open VM)

Hello,
i recently reset my PC and before that everyone worked fine, I was able to start my VM and work on it.
After I put the Folder of the VM on my USB Stick and dragged it on my PC again after the reset, I only got the .vmdk files the .vmx file is gone and I'm not able to start my VM now.
Can you please tell me, how to get my .vmx file back or may, convert one .vmdk file as one single file so I can start it up with VMware?

PS: there are 7 .vmdk files (28GB).

kind regards

ALL Files that are in the folder(:Windows 10 and later x64-s001.vmdk

Windows 10 and later x64-s002.vmdk

Windows 10 and later x64-s003.vmdk

Windows 10 and later x64-s004.vmdk

Windows 10 and later x64-s005.vmdk

Windows 10 and later x64-s006.vmdk

Windows 10 and later x64-s007.vmdk

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What VMware product and version are you using (so we can move this to the correct forum where you might get a good response)?  If a hosted product, what host OS and version?

0 Kudos
Josp43234525235
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, my bad. VMware Workstation (latest version) on Windows 10 & VM is also Windows 10

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If you don't have any other files  from the original folder, you can't restore it.  However, as long as those are ALL the files for the virtual disk, you can simply create a new virtual machine with the same settings - and when you get to the step for the virtual hard disk, select the option to 'use an existing virtual disk' and browse to your old files.

It does appear that you are missing the virtual disk descriptor file.  In that case, just let the virtual machine wizard create a new virtual disk like you were creating a new blank VM.  But before powering it on, copy your vmdk files into the new folder.  Obviously in this case, use the same file name as the existing disk slices name ("Windows 10 and later").

0 Kudos
Josp43234525235
Contributor
Contributor

I already tried putting the vmdks in a fresh VM just so I can use the 7 files (28GB) on a new VM, but when I made it Windows got automatically installed (like I hadn't put the vmdks with everything in the folder) and after the installation no dara is on the fresh VM, when I relook the folder of the fresh VM where I put the .vmdks in, .vmdks 4-7 are gone and 1-3 are still in with the size of it but still nothing showing up in the fresh VM

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

How would Windows get automatically installed, unless you have some installation media attached to the VM?

0 Kudos
Josp43234525235
Contributor
Contributor

Sure, forgot I putted the iso in, I will give it a try and tell you, thank you so far

0 Kudos
Josp43234525235
Contributor
Contributor

Which if the options? 

Ive attached a picture 

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

None of those options.

Create New virtual machine... Custom configuration... and 'I will install the OS later'...  When you get to the hard disk option, 'use an existing virtual disk'.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Josp43234525235
Contributor
Contributor

This one? 

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes - select the option to 'Use an Existing Virtual Disk', and browse to the main .vmdk file of the old disk.

0 Kudos
Josp43234525235
Contributor
Contributor

Thats the Problem, I dont have a "main" file I guess, its only 1-7 vmdk-s's so do I have to make one main .vmdk out of the 1-7 ones or how do I do it?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Then instead of using the existing virtual disk at that previous step, create a new one --- with the same name and max. size as the old existing one.

Then, before powering on the new machine, copy the 7 files over the new ones... you should now have 8 vmdk files - the 7 you have plus the short text descriptor file.

Now you should be able to power the VM on and hopefully all will work.

0 Kudos
Josp43234525235
Contributor
Contributor

Es hat funktioniert, danke sehr! So hilfsbereit, kann ich dene btc adresse? Ich würde dir gerne 30 euro schicken als danke 

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I'm glad everything is working for you.  Do yourself a favor - shutdown the virtual machine, exit Workstation.  Browse to the virtual machine's folder and make a zip backup of the entire folder.  That way you have a known point-in-time working backup!

0 Kudos