I am testing vmware workstation pro for a new solution for our customers. e. g. they have an old windows xp pc and the software on this pc (plc visualization, etc.) is no longer available on the market. So when the pc is dead, they have invest many thousand euros for a new pc, the new software and often they have to change they whole controller hardware at their plant.
Now I want to test a cheaper solution with vmware workstation. It's important, to clone the pc with all uuids, mac addresses, etc. so that the software run after the conversion without new activation.
I can't re-activate the software, because the software is no longer available on the market.
I have done the following steps:
1. Create Backup with Acronis
2. Create virtual machine in workstation pro 12.5
3. Start vm with Acronis and recover from the backup to the new virtual machine
4. stop vm and convert id with vcenter converter
5. change the uuid.bios to the original uuid of the physical machine
6. change the mac address to the original mac of the physical machine
All works fine, but after startup the visualization software want to activate. So I found out, that the hard disk serial is not equal.
wmic diskdrive get serialnumber
I get a long number. In the vmdk file I found ddb.longContentID and ddb.uuid. Is there a way to set the serialnumber from thy physical hard drive to the vmdk file?