VMware Communities
royiii
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Windows 7 64 bit into Workstation 10

I have been trying to P2V a 64 bit windows 7 laptop into Workstation 10 using vCenter Converter 5.5.  While the P2V portion works as expected I am not able to logon to the virtualized machine.  The OS appears to boot but I am nothing happens when I issue CTRL+ALT+DEL (INS) either from command line or from the GUI.  I can confirm that the VM is running and have been able to remote 'Computer Management' to the machine, but it's driving me crazy that I can't login. I am pretty sure this is something simple, so hopefully someone can assist.  Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Hint:  When doing a P2V the OS should be (at least temporarily) configured to boot directly to the Desktop, requiring no Login.  Once virtual hardware has been recognized and VMware Tools installed then if needed/wanted set the OS to require Login! Smiley Wink

Since you can remote access it, then disable Login requirements and reboot the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
royiii
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ.  Our corporate GPO's won't allow me to disable the logon security.  These are domain computers.

Update though.  I was able to VNC the VM and install VMware Tools.  After a reboot, the VM machine will still not accept either a CTRL+ALT+INS from the keyboard or from the GUI.  I have also tried using VM Player with no luck.  I've installed Workstation on another computer (64 bit Win7) and have the same issue.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do the PCs have any special drivers or services related to their hardware installed? Sometimes this can cause issues with the virtualized machines and need to be removed.

André

0 Kudos