VMware Communities
Cruzz
Contributor
Contributor

Open File in VMware

Hi guys just a thought i had the other day and im really new to VMware.

so here is my question hopefully you guys can help me out. can i open a file on my host OS and have the open in vmware. so for example if i have windows 7 host OS and double clicked a file on there i want it to open in windows xp running on vmware. i dont know if that is possible.

thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

from what I understand you are looking for something like content redirection as it can be done with Citrix XenApp!? No, this is not possible. What you can do is to run the virtual machine in Unity mode, which makes the guest application look like locally installed apps on the host.

André

PS: Please let me know which VMware Product you are using, so I can move this discussion to the appropriate forum.

sakibpavel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is not possible in vmware.

Thanks

sakibpavel   
0 Kudos
john_burfy
Contributor
Contributor

Howdy!

Im new to this forum and came accross with this thread. I don't think that is possible because both OS has memory of files and you can't open one file from host OS to VMWare

Corporate Executive Coaching

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to the VMware Workstation forum. This is possible on Fusion with MacOS but not necessarily on windows.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Author of the books 'VMWare ESX and ESXi in the Enterprise: Planning Deployment Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2011 Pearson Education. 'VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment', Copyright 2009 Pearson Education.

vSphere Upgrade Saga -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast -- The Virtualization Practice

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos