VMware Communities
vuvysoft
Contributor
Contributor

Only have -flat vmdk and when i try to use it as a virtual hard drive, Vmware says "the file is not a virtual disk"?

Hi all!

What to do if u have a -flat vmdk, but can't use it to anything, can't even recover......

When I try to recover it says that it is a -flat and it can't be recovered, how can I use the file to a virtual machine and make it work>?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Need to see a screenshot of the full error message, a file listing showing filename, file size and date/time stamp of the files that comprise the VM along with any vmware*.log files for that VM.

0 Kudos
vuvysoft
Contributor
Contributor

it's not a vm but just the file, I have not a vm to this -flat vmdk anymore(or don't know where it is..) so how should I attach the log?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have any vmware*.log files for the VM that the *-flat.vmdk is from?  If yes then attach them to a reply and you know how to do it as you've done it before! Smiley Wink

If all you have is just the *.flat.vmdk file then what is its full name and its exact size in bytes?

0 Kudos
vuvysoft
Contributor
Contributor

HHi again, thanks for waiting:-)

name: "Windows Server 2012-C1"

size: "92 019 200 000 bytes"

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It seems you don't have descriptor VMDK(*.vmdk) file along with *.flat.vmdkfile. Please note that VMware ESXi will not recognize *.flat.vmdkfile while you attaching virtual disk with VM. This file contains only actual data of VM. You need *.vmdkfile(descriptor) for the particular *.flat.vmdkfile(data file) to create a VM in your VMware environment. Please refer the following VMware KB article to create a descriptor file manually and you can then create VMusing it.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100251...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached "Windows Server 2012-C1.vmdk.zip" file contains a Disk DescriptorFile based on the name and size you provide.

0 Kudos
vuvysoft
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks both!

But what shall I use the attached vmdk file to?

0 Kudos
vuvysoft
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ, OMG SRY!

im very sry for this but now I can see that the actual size is: "94,305,779,712" bytes

Can u maybe recreate the descriptor file?

I really appreciate ur help!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I can see that the actual size is: "94,305,779,712" bytes

Can u maybe recreate the descriptor file?

The attached "Windows Server 2012-C1.vmdk.zip" file contains a Disk DescriptorFile based on the name and second size you provide.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

vuvysoft wrote: im very sry for this but now I can see that the actual size is: "94,305,779,712" bytes

This is one of the reasons we ask for a screen shot of the files showing filename, file size and date/time stamps and the vmware.log files!!!

0 Kudos
vuvysoft
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, Thanks!

It can now start and it says that the hard drive is preallocated(which i dont see as a problem)..BUT when i start it, it only gets to the screen after showing "VMware".

Then it says:

"Windows Server 2012...unsuccesful."

"EFI VMware Virtual SATA Hard Drive (0.0)...unsuccesful."

"EFI VMware Virtual SATA CDROM Drive (1.0)...unsuccesful."

"EFI Network..."

WHY!

And can u help me with that, WoodyZ?

Thanks!

sry for being late;-)

(Edit: I've put in the cid of the flat....Thinks that's something u must do)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Attach a copy of the vmware.log file.

0 Kudos