VMware Communities
Bladestorm1412
Contributor
Contributor

Only 1 out of 3 vmnet interfaces work

Hi Everyone,

I am quite new to VMware so apologies if this is a dumb question/query!

I am currently using VMware Workstation Pro 15 for Palo Alto firewall practice a new networking job I was recently offered. CBT Nuggets Palo Alto videos walked me through how to configure additional vmnet interfaces and pair them up with the firewall interfaces. It started off well with 2 bridged vmnet interfaced for firewall management and WAN port and 3 host-only vmnet interfaces specifying the IP and subnet and disabling DHCP for each host-only interface.

I have the Palo Alto firewall using the vmnet1-3 interfaces to simulate 3 networks 10.1.1.0/24, 10.2.2.0/24 and 10.3.3.0/24. The Win7 vm I connected to vmnet1 worked flawlessly but any combination of device and vmnet2/3 interface I use just gets the message 'Unidentified network No internet connection' or if it's a router it won't communicate with anything. I have tippled checked the IP addresses on the vmnet interfaces, vm machine and Palo Alto firewall and they are all correct. I changed the Win7 vm interface from vmnet2 to vmnet1 and changed the IP address to be in 10.1.1.0/24 and the device then gets internet just fine. I have also checked the Palo Alto firewall zones and policies and it's all correct.

Can someone please help? Many thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Bladestorm1412
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to mention that I was originally using my PC's WiFi for internet but I saw VMware have issues with that so I am now using Ethernet but the issue still persists.

0 Kudos
Bladestorm1412
Contributor
Contributor

I googled it a bit and one source said using your machine's WiFi will stop things from working if you use more than one vmnet interface so I changed my machine's Internet connection to Ethernet and now I am getting the same error described in the original post with the one vmnet interface that originally worked.

This happens when using both WiFi and Ethernet connection now, I have tried completely removed and re added the Palo Alto firewall vm as well as the Win7 vm as well as removing and re adding the vmnet interfaces from vmware but issue still persists. Please help!

0 Kudos