VMware Communities
ai268
Contributor
Contributor

One bridged NIC used by several Virtual Machines on VMware workstation?

Hi,

I wonder whether one bridged NIC can be shared by several VMs.

On VMWare workstation on Win10, I have "bridged VMnet0" mapped to on board Broadccom NetXtreme gigabit ethernet. Then I installed Ubuntu/iRedMail on the 1st VM and setup network adapter to "custom VMnet0" with static IP address 192.168.1.***.  Everything works great as expected. It's just like another machine on the 192.168.1.0/24.

Now, I want to try OPNsense in the 2nd VM. I install Intel /Pro gigabit as 2nd ethernet adapter.

Then on Virtual Network Editor, I created "Bridged VMnet10" NIC mapped to Intel /Pro Gigabit card .

The 2nd VM, OPENsense, it configures with two network adapters, custom VMnet0 & VMnet10. 

My original thought was to use bridged VMnet0 as OPNsense WAN and bridged VMnet10 as OPnsense LAN on the 2nd VM. I want to run this OPNsense VM as OpenVPN client.

With Ubuntu/iRedMail running which uses bridged VMnet0, I tried to configure OPNsense interface in the 2nd VM. But it only shows the Intel Pro card.  I also tried IPFire. Same thing, only Intel Pro card appeared.

So I wonder whether "bridged NIC", ex: my VMnet0, can be shared by several Virtual Machines on VMware workstation?

Do I need to install another ethernet card? Therefore I can setup:

1. 1st Intel Pro card as "bridged VMnet10" with IP address 192.168.1.*** as OPnsense WAN, same subnet as 1st Ubuntu/iRedMail VM and Win10 host.

2. 2nd Intel Pro card as "bridged VMnet11" with IP address 192.168.11.0/24 as OPNsense LAN.

I will connect OPNsens LAN to a dumb wifi/switch, therefore all device on 192.168.11.0/24 will have OpenVPN connections. This is just for test purpose. I already have one firewall between cable modem and router and the firewall on router is also enabled.

Any thoughts and suggestions? Maybe this is an OPNsense or IPFire issue? 

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The bridged NIC absolutely can be used my multiple VMs simultaneously.  The only occasional hiccup would be if the switch/router you are connected to has MAC address limiting per port.  

0 Kudos
ai268
Contributor
Contributor

My router is EdgeRouter X, ER-X. 

sudo switch dump | grep -c ' --1- ---- ' for port eth2. 

My ER-X shows value "5" from the command above from my ER-X eth2 . It's about right as my eth2 is connected to to a dumb switch/wifi.

I try sudo switch dump | grep -c ' ---- 1--- for eth4. The output value is 2. eth4 is connected to Win10, my VMWare host, with VM1(Ubuntu/iRedMail). There are 2 IP address on eth4 and 2 corresponding MAC. Other eth port shows value "1".

So it seems that the MAC limit per port is "NOT" the reason why OPNSense/IPFile does not recognize VMnet0, on eth4.

0 Kudos