VMware Communities
SPMRIYAD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On a VMWare Workstation 16 Pro 2 ESXi and a vCenter

Hello everybody,

Please kindly read the following and suggest me the best for the scenario.

I am planning to use 2 ESXi and a vCenter on VMWare Workstation 16 Pro which is on Windows 10 Pro Desktop Computer for LAB and Learning purpose. And also planning to use several VMs on those ESXi.

Desktop Configuration:
Processor: Intel Core i7 8700K
RAM: 32 GB DDR4-2400
HDD: 2*2 TB 5400 RPM

Will it be alright if I Show the Locations of 2 ESXi and vCenter to the secondary 2TB HDD?

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that should basically work.

However, keep in mind that even with just a few VMs RAM will usually be a limiting factor in most cases.
A vMotion operation for example will lead to an increased memory usage for each of the ESXi hosts.
Anyway, as I mentioned, I'm running a similarly configured PC too, and I'm happy with it so far.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have a similar setup on my PC. Running some ESXi hosts, and vCenter is ok, but as soon as you are going to setup additional VMs, you may run out of memory. The 2TB HDD should be ok too. I run my lab VMs on an SSD.

André

PS: Please do NOT post the same question in multiple communities! I've moved your duplicate posts to the Bit Bucket!

SPMRIYAD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello @a_p_ 

Thank you for your rapid response.

Yes seems like RAM is a major thinking in this scenario. The PC RAM is 32GB.

Planning to up 2 ESXi and 1 vCenter on VMWare Workstation 16 Pro which will be on the Windows 10 Pro. And each ESXi will have at least 1 VM (Win10Pro). please see below -

1. Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

2. VMWare Workstation 16 Pro

3. 1 vCenter

4. 2 ESXi where 2 Windows 10

when whose above OS and Software will be running, nothing else I will do. So will 32 GB handle the above scenario?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that should basically work.

However, keep in mind that even with just a few VMs RAM will usually be a limiting factor in most cases.
A vMotion operation for example will lead to an increased memory usage for each of the ESXi hosts.
Anyway, as I mentioned, I'm running a similarly configured PC too, and I'm happy with it so far.

André

0 Kudos