VMware Communities
kelvinvm04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oakcdrom.sys for Windows 3.1

Hello!

Anyway, I have Windows 3.1 installed in a Workstation 10 VM. I cannot get it to read the .img file that I made with oakcdrom.sys in it. In the Windows GUI itself, Windows 3.1 will say to format the drive in Flie Manager.

Does anyone have a way to get it into the VM or have a floppy image with that file in it that is compatible with Windows 3.1? If anyone does, I would appreciate it so much!

SIncerely,

Kelvin T.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just a guess here (I no longer have any DOS or W 3.1 VM's), but perhaps your image is FAT32 and you need to use FAT 16 or 12?

Lou

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just a guess here (I no longer have any DOS or W 3.1 VM's), but perhaps your image is FAT32 and you need to use FAT 16 or 12?

Lou

0 Kudos
kelvinvm04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It probably is. I formatted the .img on a NT based operating system (Win 7). Would formatting under Win98 help and adding the  file from that help?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not sure when they went to FAT32. We used to use winimage, perhaps that does old 16 bit stuff.

I make my images on Linux now:

dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy-144.flp bs=1440k count=1

mkdosfs -F 16 (or 12) -v floppy-144.flp

example:

dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy-144.flp bs=1440k count=1

mkdosffs -F 16 -v floppy-144.flp

Then mount with a loop back device:

sudo mkdir /mnt/tmp

sudo mount floppy-144.flp /mnt/tmp -o loop,noatime,rw

sudo cp <stuff_to_be_copied> /mnt/tmp

sudo umount /mnt/tmp

I can read that diskette in a W7 VM, I don't have a DOS VM to test with.

If you don't have a Linux system, good chance to learn it with a VM. I use CentOS 7.0 as my host

Lou

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached file, "floppy.img.zip" contains a 1.44MB floppy disk image created with WinImage and is formatted MS-DOS (FAT12) and will work in Windows 3.1.

0 Kudos