VMware Communities
GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OVF Import Fails Workstation, icuuc44.dll error

When attempting to use Workstation 15.5.6 on Windows 10, 2003, OS Build 19041.329, I receive a failure in Workstation.

After acknowledging the error, which tells me to look at the ovftool.log, I see this error:

"The code execution cannot proceed because icuuc44.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

The DLL is missing, and installing the 4.4 version of the OVFTOOL has not solved the problem.

Anyone know how to fix this?  Moreover, how to fix it without going to one of the MANY shady websites saying you can download that DLL from  us....

The OVFTOOL.LOG is not present in the location of the Workstation error.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I did some preliminary research and it seems this DLL is part of the International Components for Unicode (Downloading ICU - ICU - International Components for Unicode ) and is used mainly in dotNET applications providing globalization support. Therefore, this seems like a Windows error and not a Workstation one.

If the above is accurate, you might try reverting your OS temporarily to the English locale and see if you still get the error - maybe ovftool does not expect your particular configuration. Standard Win10 missing files troubleshooting procedures also apply, like sfc/ scannow  and  DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

(For what it's worth, I'm on Windows 7 and this dll is absent in my system, maybe it's a part of Win 10)

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Mits2020 is correct. That is the official location of the ICU project and is used for unicode support (not just .net)

It's not part of Windows though.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos