VMware Communities
CinciTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OVA Import Fails on 14.1.2: "Failed To Open OVF Descriptor"

I have an OVA file I created with Workstation 14 a couple months ago.  A colleague tried to deploy it using the latest version of Workstation Pro (14.1.2), and he tells me the OVA fails to import with the error "Failed to Open OVF Descriptor".  He's tried several workarounds he found via Google using the OVFTool, but the problem persists.  So after he reached out to me I installed the latest update to 14.1.2.  Sure enough, now I can't import the OVA that I created using an earlier version of Workstation 14.  Hardware compatibility is Workstation 10.x, OS is Windows Server 2016 (Dataserver edition with GUI), and it worked importing into ESXi 6.0 using the vCenter client as well as my earlier version of 14 (I can't remember if it was 14.0 or 14.1, but I can install older versions if it's helpful for troubleshooting).  On top of that, I decided the quick fix would be to export the VM again (from my newly installed Workstation 14.1.2), and re-import.  Guess what...  The OVA i *just* exported fails to import in the Workstation Pro that exported it.

Any advice?  It looks like our fix is to give up on updating Workstation, but maybe someone has a workaround or VMWare can fix what they broke in this release.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If you are moving from Workstation to Workstation, just zip up the VM's directory, unzip on the destination machine, and open it up (at that point, answer "I Copied It").  No reason to export and import.

0 Kudos
CinciTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not.  I'm actually sending the VM to different colleagues, importing into Workstation 12 & 14 as well as ESXi 6.0.  OVA is our best option.  Or it was while it worked.

0 Kudos