VMware Communities
calc76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not enough physical memory is available

Anyone else get this message after upgrading to 14.0.0? I'm running Workstation under Linux host and never saw this issue before then.

I had to reboot even though 31GB was free at the time.

27 Replies
devastator21
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me on 4.13.0-26-generic kernel on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.  THANKS!

0 Kudos
infiniter
Contributor
Contributor

I became curious when I read the thread title. Exactly the same problem in all previous versions of the Player and/or Workstation I used. Windows 7, 16 GB of RAM and you could never select more than 4 GB for a machine. Why would vmware limit the max. allocatable memory to only 1/4?? Doesn't make sense to me.

0 Kudos
Wodan
Contributor
Contributor

I have build a patch for this which applies the fix above and should be run on the extracted archive.

0 Kudos
michail1991
Contributor
Contributor

Works beautifully for Ubuntu 16.04 with VMware workstation 14 Pro.
THanks for the fix.

0 Kudos
Mongo424242
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to all who contributed to this fix!  I have a somewhat different problem, in that with Kernel version 4.13, Workstation will not even compile VMnet (?), so I can't open any VMs in the fist place.  Does this fix also address the kernel compatibility problem?  I know there are other patches out there for the kernel bug, but how to they relate to this patch (if at all)?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Wodan
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean the issue relating to vmnet not being able to be build as a kernel module after installation? If so a patch was released earlier for:

vmnet-only/bridge.c

I don't remember where this was posted, but the patch that was released is in the attachment. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
comahony
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Issue is fixed in VMware Workstation Player 14.1.1.

Regards,

Alin

0 Kudos
AleksandrasJ
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome! Thanks!

0 Kudos