VMware Communities
ckangai
Contributor
Contributor

Not enough memory to power up a VM

My laptop has 16GB of RAM and I am unable to power up a VM that's only 6GM. Yesterday it was working fine. The only thing that's happened is that overnight Microsoft updates installed a whole lot of new updates on the laptop and I am guessing one of them is the culprit. I removed KB2995388, and I tried adding the line: vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE" to the config.ini file but this did not help. I still cannot start any VM.

My laptop is running Windows 8.1.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi ckangai, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Which exact version of Workstation are you using?  You'll need at least Workstation 10.0.4 or Workstation 11 on Windows 8.1 with the latest updates.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ckangai
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VMWare Player version 6.0.3 build 189-5310. This should not be the problem as it has been working up to last night. It was only after Windows Update installed updates on my laptop overnight that this problem started.

Thanks,

ckangai

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Windows update introduced a compatibility issue with VMware Workstation and Player.  The issue was resolved with Player 6.0.4 (VMware Player 6.0.4 Release Notes) and Workstation 10.0.4 (VMware Workstation 10.0.4 Release Notes).  You should update Player to the latest version and the problem should go away.

--

Darius

0 Kudos