VMware Communities
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Not enough memory error

All,

I am getting an error when I attempt to start a 4th guest that says I do not have enough memory.  I am somewhat sure that this isn't the case.  My pc has 16GB ram and the guests are configured with 2GB memory each.  Since three guests start fine, by my math I am using 6GB.  Figure in a few GB for Windows&Workstation overhead and I should still be able to power on the 4th guest.

When I had only 8GB RAM, I was able to power on two of the guests so going to 16GB should get me at least another two guests when they are configured for 2GB each.  That should only be 8GB RAM for guests leaving the other 8GB for Windows and Workstation.

Am I missing something?

Workstation = 7.1.4 build-385536

Windows 7x64 with SP1

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have a look at this - should help with memory optimization for workstation : http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/virtualization-coach/all-about-memory-optimization-in-vmware-workst...

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

BTW...I did see the KB that describes my exact situation, but it says the latest version of Workstation fixes it.  When I do a "Check for Updates", it comes back and says I am at the latest release.  I also checked the version I downloaded against what is currently available and they match build numbers.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have a look at this - should help with memory optimization for workstation : http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/virtualization-coach/all-about-memory-optimization-in-vmware-workst...

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks.  That page helped.  Just needed to up my reserved memory.  interesting that I had to create a reservation when I still had plenty available.  I checked a few counters and I consistently had over 12GB not iin use.  I shouldn't have had trouble starting 8GB ( + overhead) of guests .

Adam

0 Kudos