VMware Communities
Bokkesem
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to ping the other system in same network from VM Guest Machine.

Hi,

MY Host system OS(SYS1) is Windows server 2003 and another system with Windows XP OS (SYS2) are same network, I am able to ping each other, Now i installed Guest VM (GVM) on Windows server 2003 machine with XP OS and obtained a valid Ipadress using Bridge connection.

Now All the three system are having valid IP addess but We are unable to ping SYS2 system from GVM (Guest) system, GVM System is avaliable only to Host system, It is not avaliable to any other system in same network. I used Bridge Connection only.

If any body know the solution please help us.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

what response do you get with ping command? Request time out or Destination Host unreachable?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Disable all firewalls while testing.

Check that you use the correct NIC for bridging. Set it to the adapter needed instead of "Automatic".

Post "ipconfig /all" from host and guest.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

\[:o]===\[o:]

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Bokkesem
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Its is giving "Destination is not reachable"

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

This result means that something is wrong with routing between networks (they are not in the same subnet).

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
PeterP86
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Sometimes there is a problem with "File and documents sharing" in Windows XP. Check if it is "turn on" under your properties. If it is turned off you cannot ping OS.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

• Disable firewall on the guest & Select the right nic for bridging as suggested in earlier reply.

• Check Whether Guest and the system you are pinging on the same subnet, If not there is some routing issue in the domain. Priovide "ipconfig /all" details for both the end points.

• To isolate the problem, put the network in NAT mode instead of bridge and see whether you are reaching the machine from the Guest.

0 Kudos