VMware Communities
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not able to install ESX4 in Workstation v6.5.2 - does anyone familiar with this HP desktop

Hi All:

I was trying to install ESX4 on VMware workstation 6.5.2 for testing and getting this message

"This version of ESX requires a CPU capable of 64-bit operation"

This computer is a HP DC7800 with core 2 duo processor (E8300)

the host is a 64x of Windows server 2008 R2 with 4GB RAM , I have successfully installed ESX4 onto another Pentium D940 machine without an issue,

I went to the bios and seeing the option for intel VT is disabled, but not able to turn it on, i am wondering if anyone reading this has run into this issue , i ran a 64check tuitility from VMware and it does confirm this machine can run 64 bit guest OS and the host is already 64 OS

if this option (say if i got it confirm from HP) on the motherboard bios cannot be enabled what will be other option ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sorry - you do not have a plan B

either you can enable VT in BIOS or you can't use ESX as a VM

ask HP for an updated - fixed BIOS if you really can't change that option.

You need to a cold start after changing the option - in case that is possible ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

solved the issue, i didnt notice there is option to go left or right in each "Disable" option, so now they are all enabled, scared for a while, i would have been upset that this nice shiny desktop does not support this

thanks

0 Kudos