VMware Communities
ChotaDon1
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to format partition on new hard disk i created.

Hello,

I've just created a second hard disk for my virtual machine (windows server 2008) When I go into disk managment I'm unable to format it or shrink it because the options are greyed out. so I downloaded and installed easeUS partition master to see it that would work. but it says that the disk is read only so its unable to do anything to it. How do I make it so its not read only?

also i used a tutorial to make this new disc and at the end of the tutorial it said I need to use the guest operating system to format it... I've spent ages researching it and cant find any seful information about this. can someone explain to me in plain english what it is? is it an application i have to install in my virtual windows server 2008 to use? or it feature in vmware that i need to access? if so how do i acces it?

I hope you guys can help I need to finish my uni work and this problems is stopping me, not even my tutor knows the solution!

heres a screenshot of the hard disk...its the unallocated disk 1. when i right click on it everything is greyed out apart from help and properties.

work.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Right-click on disk 1 in the left-hand small gray box on that line and bring the disk online.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

As VMRoyle says, right click in the box that says OffLine and select Online. then initialize disk then you can format it.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos