VMware Communities
winghang97
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to detect directly connected PC but able to ping

I had set up a Windows 7 via Workstation Pro on a Windows 10 host PC, but I am unable to detect a directly connect PC by LAN. I am able to ping the other PC using cmd by IP address and the PC name. It shows up in my network folder on my host PC but not the VMware.

Looking for suggestions or resources to fix this weird problem.

Thanks for taking time to read my post.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

What is the network settings of the Windows 7 VM? Is it using bridged or NAT?

You should use "Bridged" if you want the VM to be visible in the network that the Windows 10 PC belong to.

For example: your host PC might belong to 192.168.7.0/24 subnet, if you use "Bridged", the Windows 7 VM will belong to the same subnet. However if you use NAT, it will be using a different subnet and thus not visible/accessible to the 192.168.7.0/24 subnet.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What networking mode are you using for the guest? You'll need to use bridged if you aren't already.

0 Kudos
winghang97
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bluefirestorm,

I am currently using bridged connection and set to automatic. The VMware also could not detect after I changed the bridged connection to my LAN port using vmnetcfg.exe.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

What is the version of the Windows 10 host? Is it the Fall Creators Update (aka build 1709)? There are some postings here in the forum that report some problems with Bridging after update to build 1709. What is the version of your Workstation software?

Personally, I didn't encounter any problem with bridging mode after the update to build 1709 with VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.7.

Are you having other problem(s) as well that's why you went to use the Virtual Network Editor? It is best just to keep it to Automatic. Try to "Reset to default".

With bridged protocol, was the Windows 7 VM able to obtain an IP address from the same subnet as the Windows 10 host and the other PC?

0 Kudos
winghang97
Contributor
Contributor

The version of my Workstation is 12.1.0.

I just changed it back to automatic. The only reason why i messed with it the first place is because I saw a video doing that and it worked for them, was trying if it works for me.

The windows & VM is able to obtain an IP address from the same subnet as the Windows 10 host and the other PC.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Just keep in mind also that Windows 7/8/10 firewall restricts ICMP traffic such as ping by default. I would not disable the firewall but instead add rules to enable the ICMP traffic on the machines concerned (both physical and virtual).

Is the Windows 10 build 1703 (Creators Update) or 1709 (Fall Creators Update) or some other build?

It would be better also to upgrade/update the Workstation software to 12.5.x (I think 12.5.8 is the latest which should be free for 12.1.0 licence) as it has contained numerous bug fixes. Version 12.1.0 was released 2 years ago https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/12.0/rn/workstation-121-release-notes.html

0 Kudos