VMware Communities
cuetipper
Contributor
Contributor

Noob needs Snapshot clarification please

I just installed and updated a clean VM of xp based on mu offfices work enviroment.

What I wpould like to do is to use this a test model for new software trials before deploying them to the users.

I thought that if I created multiple snapshots [1-5] and installed the trail set of software on # 5that I could delete the sanpshot and rever to #4 ands that it would not have ant traces of what happened in #5.

Is this correct?

If not how do I accomplish that?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can do this. However be careful with the buttons. "Delete" actually does not delete the snapshot, but merges the changes to the parent disk/snapshot. To move between snapshots without committing changes, select the desired snapshot and use the "Go To" button.

André

0 Kudos
cuetipper
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, that is confusing..

How then shall I delete the snapshot loaded with software and NOT have it merge with anything?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

use GoTO for that

0 Kudos
cuetipper
Contributor
Contributor

Yes but how do I DELETE the unwanted snapshot without it merging......

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: Working with snapshots

0 Kudos
cuetipper
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I think I understand. But to be safe can someione confirm?

If you delete the snapshot you are in it will merge to the base.

But if you delete another snapshot  it just deletes.

So if I make changes in a snapshot and I want to delete them I should GOTO another snapshot and then delete the one I do not want.

0 Kudos
cuetipper
Contributor
Contributor

Well I still can not get this right.

Or maybee what i thought could be done is just wrong.

I installed a clean Appliance.

Then I preceeded to take 4 snapshots.

In the fourth snapshot I loaded some software and copied some software to it, applied a new background.

I then used the "GOTO" to revert to snapshot #3.

The software that I copied to the desktop vanished as expected.

The background reverted to default as expected.

But the files that the installed software created were still there in my documents folder - even though the actual software was gone.

Traces were still in the registry,

How to I return to a CLEAN initial install?

please someone help me.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> But the files that the installed software created were still there in my  documents folder - even though the actual software was gone

Only possible explanation: you already  made those changes while you were running snapshot 3

0 Kudos