VMware Communities
rightclix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No shared folder option in Workstation or vSphere

Afternoon all,

I can't seem to configure the simplest of tasks on my lab environment for some reason. I'm trying to set up a shared folder on my Server 2012 VM and everything points to VM > Settings > Options tab > enable folder ,

I don't have an enable folder option. (see attached) Please can someone help, this is very frustrating. I've uninstalled and re-installed VM Tools and made no difference.

shared folder.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think that's a function of Workstation only, not ESXi.

See this thread for more: Shared Folders option on Vmware tool ESXi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
rightclix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

shared folder worksation.png

it's the same in workstation.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

That's a shared VM, not a regular one.  Does it work on a non-shared one?  If so, that might be one of the restrictions of shared VMs.  Just use a standard Samba/CIFS network share.

0 Kudos
rightclix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What does shared vm mean? Also how do I set up a standard Samba/cifs share?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Oh, I'm sorry - thought that was in the tree under Shared VMs.  I see now it's under an IP address.

Try one of the two regular Workstation VMs - at the top of the tree.

Regular network share - in Windows, right-click a folder, and Share.  In client, map a network drive to \\servername\sharename

0 Kudos