VMware Communities
Robertvmw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No networks on Ubuntu guest on new PC

Hi,

I have installed a new PC and copied my vmware virtual machine to it.

Unfortunately I am not able to get any network connections working in the guest OS.

ifconfig only shows the loopback network.

I tried both Bridged, NAT and Host-only. I already used the Virtual Network editor to make sure bridged uses the correct adapter on the host.

But since NAT and Host-only also doesn't work I think something else is wrong, but I have no clue what I could do.

The host OS is using a WiFi adapter on the motherboard.

I use VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.7 build-12989993

My host OS is Windows 10 Pro.

My guest OS is Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

I would very much appreciate any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robertvmw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay.... since I have suspended and resumed the virtual machine once, the network now just seems to work. Even though I have not changed anything. And I have been having these network problems for days. Computers are strange things.

I do still have instability problems with VMware Workstation, but I'll create a separate topic for that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

The problem you find is very similar to this post that has already been solved.

Network Bridge Mode Not Working Windows 10 Host

-- Be sure your vm is stopped.

--Run the VMWare Virtual Network Editor

(click start and search for Virtual Network Editor)

-- Run it as administrator (or click the button at the bottom of the screen that says, "change settings." VMNet0 will dislpay when running as administrator. Otherwise, it will not be visible)

-- Highlight VMNet0 and click on "Automatic Settings"

-- You will see a list of adapters. De-select all but the physical network card. (When I set up up with player, I had selected only the 1.  After install of workstation, all of the items were checked.)

-- Click "OK"

-- Click "Ok"

-- Start the VM and test.

Best regards,

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
Robertvmw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Alessandro,

I have already used the Virtual Network Editor to make sure the correct network card is selected.

Also note that not only bridged, but also NAT and Host-only network do not work.

I stop and start the VM between every change.

0 Kudos
Robertvmw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay.... since I have suspended and resumed the virtual machine once, the network now just seems to work. Even though I have not changed anything. And I have been having these network problems for days. Computers are strange things.

I do still have instability problems with VMware Workstation, but I'll create a separate topic for that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

mltsy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem and suspending and restoring the machine did fix it.

The problem arose after the machine somehow got into a state where I couldn't shut it down because it said a shutdown was already in progress, but even after waiting overnight it was still not shut down, and therefore I ended up killing it, deleting the vmem and vmss files and booting it up again.  It worked fine, but had no network adapter.  Suspending and restoring it seemed to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
Miark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks robertvmw. Suspending and restoring fixed my problem, too.

grpnpraveen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot, Robertvmw, I have been trying this for 5 hrs. I even reinstalled the software but finally suspending worked!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ksio89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Robertvmw Came from the future to thank you for the solution! Suspending and resuming did the trick on a Ubuntu Desktop 21.04, I was about to reinstall it, thanks God I saw your post first.

0 Kudos
jstevensen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WHY does this work.  LOL.

Ubuntu 18 lost its network interfaces.... did the suspend/awaken and its back.

Tags (1)
hupian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This post is really helpful. My VMWare Workstation used to work okay but suddenly lost network connection after a reboot. I followed the steps here to just suspend and restart and now the network has been back to normal.

krishdeo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did what not I found on the internet and nothing worked! I was stuck on this for the past few days only to find out a suspend/resume will fix it! I dont know what to do with life anymore

yangli555
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It works for me as well.

This is the most strange bug for vmware

0 Kudos
ksio89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bug still happening on 16.2.4 (VW Player), thankfully, the fix still works as well.

0 Kudos
heroo123456
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue and has been looking for a solution for hours. I'm using ubuntu 20.04 and vmware player 16. Suspending and restoring the VM did the trick!

0 Kudos
bradleman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. This worked for my Debian 10 guest that had the same issue.

0 Kudos
kepleros
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This resolved for me.

ThankYou!

Host:

Windows 11

VMWare Workstation Pro

16.2.2 build-19200509

Guest:

Almalinux 8.5

0 Kudos
bbalaban
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network was working fine on vmware workstation 17pro with an ubuntu 18-04 vm

Upgraded to vmware workstation 17.01 and my vm lost connectivity. I tried the Virtual Network Editor fix suggested above, no luck.

I tried suspend/reawaken that seems to have worked for others, but it did not work for me. Reboot did not work, power off/start did not work.

Is there a way to downgrade the workstation?

0 Kudos
marco_shaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To downgrade?  Just get the old software.  Yes, there appears to be an issue with 17.0.1 in some circumstances.

0 Kudos
HomeLab2019
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs now receive their IP address via DHCP after downgrading from 17.0.2 to 16.2.5.

I'm not sure what's wrong with VMware 17.0.1 or 17.0.2, maybe there are bugs. I hope they will fix it soon! 

0 Kudos
FixBug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Spoiler
This is not a solved problem, the network does not fall off, just visually the icons are no longer displayed correctly and it seems that the network has fallen off. In 17.0.2 the problem is still there, alas.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Statusbar-Vmware-dont-work/m-p/2946034#M179...
0 Kudos