VMware Communities
Lfrisino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No network connectivity after installing ESX3 on VMware Workstation 6

I have successfully installed ESX 3.0.1 in WS6 running on a Dell Latitude D620 - 1.6Mhz Dual Core, VT enabled, 4GB ram, 60GB SATA drive. The ESX install goes on without a hitch following Xtravirt's white paper, but when I try to log on via the VI client, error message received is "Cannot connect to host 10.66.xxx.xx: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. " I am using bridged networking as indicated in the white paper authored by Paul Harvey on Xtravirt - "Install and run VMware ESX3 on VMware workstation6."

I hve disabled all incoming and outgoing firewall ports on the configured ESX3 host. I cannot reach the ESX host via Putty, either (Network Timeout error). Am I missing something? I have not yet built the VC server.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you can ping it theres hope, otherwise you may need to relook at your network settings on the esx server

0 Kudos
boogieshafer
Expert
Expert

try logging into the console of the ESX vm and pinging OUT from the guest...i noticed that i needed to do this in my own setup to actually get the networking going

after the initial outbound traffic is sucessful, you shouldnt have a problem connecting inbound to the esx guest if all the firewall and bridging is setup as in the document

0 Kudos